Friday, June 8, 2007

Some interesting tech news

I thought I would take a break from the last Turkiye travel entry to highlight some interesting technological news that caught my eyes.

Firstly, a robot with the head of a teddy bear is being developed by the US military to retrieve injured combat personnel. Why the teddy bear head? Well, it is supposed to be more reassuring to the individual and adds a "human touch". Somehow I have not exactly seen a teddy bear in such medical situations so I have no idea how this makes it more human...

Next up we have something that does not sound really new -- the wireless transmission of energy. These guys from MIT implemented their theory into a working experiment in which they powered up a light bulb from 2 meters. Kind of reminds me of RFID, just that I never seem to get so much energy to it from my experience. The intuition has something to do with resonance. You can "direct" the wireless power to the correct receiver that is sharing the same low-frequency(e.g. 10Mhz, high is considered in GHz levels). The receiver will "resonant", hence directed power. Also the low frequency used is supposed to be human safe (much like our FM radio receiver). I guess this is what sets it apart from other wireless power transmissions like RFID and some electric toothbrushes that seem to use raw signal power to induce EMF.

No comments: