Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Warcraft III Frozen Throne on Ubuntu 7.10

*** UPDATE ***
Unfortunately, multi-player is broken in wine version 0.9.46, and the whole game is broken in 0.9.55. Version 0.9.51 works but hosting is broken, only joining games is possible. Alternatively, use 0.9.45 as suggested by this ArchWiki site.
**************

Since Ubuntu 6.06, I have been able to play Defense of the Ancients in Linux with the support of the WINE compatibility layer. Recently I have decided to get Warcraft III working on 7.10 as well. The steps are simple. First, install WINE using Synaptic as shown below.

The version at the time of my installation is wine-0.9.46. Then set the settings for video and audio using the wine configuration tool. The settings I used are shown below.

Then, create a launcher on the panel. Note that the -opengl option should be used as shown in my configuration below. Also, I am using a NO-CD exe (alternatively, the latest update for Frozen Throne does not require the CD or so I read somewhere online). Since I cannot find a Frozen Throne icon online, I decided to use the one for World of Warcraft available here.

That's it! Now I can play DotA!

No comments: