Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Shanghai Day 4 - Shanghai Museum


Read the previous post here or return to trip index here.

25 Feb 2009

It is my last day in Shanghai and I have covered most of the sights worth seeing. Today I decided to snoop around the People's Square and visit the Shanghai Museum. Hence I packed my bags, checked out of the hotel and took a train to the People's Square metro station.


The square contains a big park surrounded by buildings


A church


After walking around the park I was hungry and walked into the most familiar looking mall for lunch


Standing in front of the museum a government building in front flanked by two modern buildings



One of these should be the art museum and the other an urban planning exhibition


The Shanghai Museum

As I walked up to the Museum, I met some domestic tourists telling me that I'm going the wrong way. In fact, I was walking to the exit of the Museum. After some chat we decided to go together to a nearby tea appreciation house. There, various teas will be explained as well as how they are made, etc. Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed. The tea appreciation came with a hefty price too -- about CNY 400 to sample six types of tea. They charge by per tea per pax and present the prices before you order. Nevertheless, it was interesting to make some new friends in the process.

I decided to purchase some flowering tea. These are handmade tea consisting of wrapping a flower with tea leaves into a ball. This ball will "bloom" when placed in hot water giving the impression of a flower blooming in the teapot. Best made with a transparent teapot to impress the ladies.

After saying some goodbyes, I walked to the correct entrance of the Shanghai Museum. It was then that I realised I had forgotten to take a picture with my new friends but it was too late. The museum closes at 5pm. Entry is free but last entry is at 4:30pm. Luckily for me, it was only 4pm.


The correct entrance to the Shanghai Museum flanked by statues


First up is bronzeware



Ancient wine vessels, Early Western Zhou, 1100 BCE


Food vessel, Early Western Zhou, 1100 BCE


Bell with Dragon design, Late Western Zhou, 900-771 BCE


Water pan, Spring & Autumn Period, 770 BCE


Ox shaped Wine Vessel, Late Spring & Autumn Period, 600-476 BCE. It seems that most strangely shaped vessels are for wine.


A drum stand with a dragon wrapped around the base, Late Spring & Autumn Period, 600-476 BCE



Bright Sword of the King of Wu State, Late Spring & Autumn Period, 600-476 BCE


Cowrie container decorated with eight yaks, Western Han, 206 BCE - 6 CE. I guess it is used to keep some precious items


Now this is a pillow with 5 yaks, two at the sides, three inbetween. I wouldn't want to accidentally fall on it. Western Han, 206 BCE - 8 CE


Moving on to carvings


Stone Buddha, Eastern Wei, Southern & Northern Dynasties, 534 - 550 CE


Buddha, Stone, Northern Qi, Southern & Northern Dynasties, 550 - 577 CE


Buddhist Stele, Stone, Northern Qi, Southern & Northern Dynasties, 550 - 577 CE



Thousand Buddha Stele, Stone, Northern Zhou, Southern & Northern Dynasties, 557 - 581 CE


Shakyamuni (Gautama Buddha), Stone, Northern Qi, Southern & Northern Dynasties, 550 - 577 CE


Three Amitabha Buddhas, Stone, Sui Dynasty (where Buddhism was encouraged), 581 - 618 CE


Goddess of Mercy (观音, Avalokitesvara), Stone, Sui Dynasty, 581 - 618 CE





Heavenly Kings, Tang Dynasty, 618 - 907 CE


Bodhisattva, Painted Wood, Song Dynasty, 960 - 1279 CE


Bodhisattva Wooden statue, Jin Dynasty, 1115 - 1234 CE


Next up was porcelain


This is really cool, Celadon Jar with Human Figures, Kingdom of Wu, Three Kingdoms Era, 222 - 280 CE


Polychrome glazed porcelain with Phoenix Head, Tang Dynasty, 618 - 907 CE


Polychrome glazed horse, Tang Dynasty, 618 - 907 CE



Heavenly Guardians, Tang Dynasty, 618 - 907 CE



Tomb Guardian Beasts, Tang Dynasty, 618 - 907 CE


Civil Official, he looks kind of sly... Tang Dynasty, 618 - 907 CE


Glazed Buddha Statue, Yuan Dynasty, 1271 - 1368 CE


Buddha, Ming Dynasty, 1465 - 1487 CE


Blue Lotus Shaped Dish with Sanskrit Characters, Ming Dynasty, 1573 - 1620 CE


Man Blowing Conch & Sitting on an animal, Ming Dynasty, 1573 - 1620 CE


Last up is Jade ware


Wine Vessel, Western Han, 206 BCE - 6 CE


Three Boys, Ming Dynasty, 1368 - 1644 CE


Boy holding Lingzhi, Ming Dynasty, 1368 - 1644 CE


Mountainside Relief with Figurines, Qing Dynasty, 1644 - 1911 CE


Some of the statues outside the museum.

It was 5pm, that was the end of my museum tour. Besides those illustrated there were also calligraphy exhibitions. I decided to have a light dinner before heading back to the hotel to pick up my luggage.


A light meal at Chamate (一茶一坐, Yi Cha Yi Zhuo)


Back in the Maglev to the airport. Will it hit 430km/h again?



It didn't increase further! Oh well, I guess it either runs slower to the airport or slower at night in general.


International Airport


Meal on board the overnight flight

That sums up my 4 day trip to Shanghai. Originally for work but ended up with nothing much to do most of the time. There isn't much to see in Shanghai in terms of culture. However there's lots to eat and many shopping belts. Food and transportation is cheap in general and the taxis reliable. I am missing the Xiao Long Baos already!

Return to the trip index here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm.. I have been to Shanghai so many times but I don't know most of the places that you went to!

Devil said...

You must have been hard at work there. I only found them because I had nothing much to do! =D