Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hauppauge WinTV PCI-FM on Win7 64-bit


Some time ago, I had to get a new PC as my old Intel 3.4GHz hyperthreading computer borked out. With a nice new Core i7 I decided to go with Win7 64-bit. Sadly some hardware just didn't work out too well. My old Acer scanner didn't work (no drivers) and now I can only use it when I boot to Linux. Miraculously for my TV card, Win7 detected and downloaded 64-bit drivers from the Internet (i.e. Hauppauge's Website). Excited, I tried the Windows Media Center. Having a set-top box decoder, I had to use Composite video-in as my primary source. Unfortunately, I lost my IR receiver. Without it Windows Media Center refused to play TV! Such a shame.

Thankfully Video LAN Client (VLC) is available for windows. After messing around with the settings I managed to get TV but with blue swapped with red and every human showed up as Na'vi. Note: I have to attempt to set up Windows Media Center first for direct show to be set up properly for VLC.


Blue Aliens

Finally, adjusting the Chroma setting to UYVY did the trick. Put it all into a customized VLC shortcut and I've got TV. I'll still use my scripts with mencoder in Linux to record though.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Hauppauge WinTV 88x Video Capture" :dshow-adev= :dshow-video-input=2 :dshow-size=640x480 :dshow-chroma=UYVY


Ahhh.... TV...

No comments: