Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Melbourne 1st Week

To read the first post in this series click here.

To read the previous related post click here.

07 Jan 08 -- 11 Jan 08

My first week of work in Melbourne. I take 30 minutes to walk to the Eye and Ear hospital, and another 30 mins to get back. Along the way I cut across 3 parks and pass by the Royal Exhibition Building; twice everyday.


View Larger Map
The route from the Graduate house to the Eye and Ear Hospital in Blue


Some church on the way. From the icons it looks like an Eastern Orthodox church.


This big red building...


... is actually the Salvation Army's training college


Ah! I have arrived at the right place.


Work work



There is a huge Cathedral nearby


I decided to try out the Corkman on Monday.


My first meal at the Corkman. That's a pot of Carlton Draught.


The pub special for 11 AU on Monday. That is cheap for quantity.


There there, that is more like an irish pub. 1 pint costs 6.80 AU.


I am so stuffed I can only manage 1 pint of Guiness.


That pretty much sums up Monday. Back to coding.


Tuesday, treated to dinner at this Italian Restaurant that makes good pizza.


Some day while walking back, I noticed this big building is actually the college square campus.


Before I knew it, it was Thursday. A sign read outside the Corkman that Guiness Pie was on special. Sadly somehow there is no special today. The pie is great though, pastry on top, with beef in special Guiness sauce on the inside. Then came Friday. I had signed up for two day tours on the weekend. One to Philip Island and the other to the Great Ocean Road.


Wandering around on Friday night. The Princess' Theatre.


Chinatown, where the arches are. Actually it is more like Asiatown. There are other Asians here besides the Chinese.


Settled down at Hungry Jack's for dinner. Looks familiar? It should. The rest of the world calls this Burger King.


The Whopper is a disgrace


Some old RMIT building


Yep, all sorts of food here

Before I knew it, the first week was up and the second weekend arrived. The weather was mostly good the entire week except for another heat wave where it hit 40 degrees for one day. Well the weekend is not a time to snooze. I had to be up early the next day to visit the Queen Victoria Market before my pickup for the Philip Island tour.

View the next related post here.

Return to the trip index here.

No comments: