Saturday, April 12, 2008

India Day 7 - Humayun's Tomb

View the first post in this series here.
View the previous post in this series here.

23 Mar 08

Leaving Mc'donalds, I found some auto rickshaw drivers and tried to get them to take me to Humayun's Tomb for 20 Rs (USD 0.50) as it was really nearby (< 2km). To my dismay they said that it was Sunday and the tomb will not be opened -- something I found strange as it was not stated on the tourist map that the tomb was closed on Sunday. Then they asked if I would like to go shopping instead. This was when I realised the scum was lying through his teeth. Pissed, I walked off and immediately managed to flag an auto rickshaw to the tomb for 20 Rs.

In two blinks of both eyes, Here I was standing right in front of another UNESCO World Heritage site in New Delhi -- Humayun's Tomb. Humayun was the second Mughal Emperor that ruled most of modern Pakistan, Afghanistan, and parts of northern India. While the Taj Mahal was built by the Emperor Shah Jahan for his favourite wife, Humayun's tomb was built by his wife out of grief for him. In fact Humayun's Tomb's architectural style is so similar to Taj Mahal, that the latter's style was probably lifted from the former.


View Larger Map
Satellite view of Humayun's Tomb Complex. The surrounding gardens are huge and well maintained. Note Isa Khan's tomb.


Here I am at the main entrance. Entry costs 250 Rs (USD 6.25)

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
Before heading up towards Humayun's Tomb, a side gate opens into Isa Khan's Tomb compound

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
Isa Khan Niyazi was an Afgan noble man in the court of Sher Shah Suri, who was of Turkic origin and whose empire fought the Mughals

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
An archway into the tomb

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
Part of the inside

Isa Khan's Tomb stairs, New Delhi
Some stairs lead to the second floor

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
One of the little pavilions on the second floor

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
The underside of one of these pavilions

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
It looks like this tomb used to be adorned with many colours

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
Arches surrounding the tomb chamber

Isa Khan's Tomb, New Delhi
A three door Mosque in the same compound

Arab Serai Gate, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
While walking towards Humayun's Tomb, I was again distracted by a side gate -- The Arab Serai gate

Arab Serai Gate, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Small wooden door in the large gate

Arab Serai Gate, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Beyond the Arab Serai Gate is this enclosure that housed the Persian craftsmen that worked on Humayun's Tomb

Main Entrance, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Main entrance to the massive Humayun's Tomb Compound -- The west gateway that is 16 metres high

Six sided star, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
It is said the Mughals liked to use this six sided star as an ornament as it is a symbol of the cosmos. I find it much like the Star of David.

waterways, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Humayun's Tomb, the waterways and fountains have been restored

Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Humayun's Tomb is a square and each side is exactly the same. So I walked to the best side for a photo with least tourists.


Don't they look very similar? I personally find Humayun's Tomb more impressive from afar due to the red, yellow and white colours.

Corner of Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
A 45 degree view from a corner of the tomb

Stairs to main chamber, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Stairs leading up to the main chamber

interior panorama, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Close panorama of the main chamber after ascending the stairs

arches, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Arches in arches

sic sided stars, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Six sided stars everywhere.

top corner, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Closer look at the top corner

Patterned windows, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Patterned windows

stones used in Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
A mix of red sandstone and white marble

patterned window, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Every arch has a patterned window

chamber, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
Ceiling of chamber

crypt, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
The symbolic tomb. The real body is below ground

Barber's Tomb, New Delhi
According to a sign it is said that, "Folklore refers to this as the Barber's Tomb". I have no idea who it belongs to.

10th Sikh Guru temple, New Delhi
Looking up, I noticed the temple that I think is dedicated to the 10th Sikh Guru was just next door.

waterworks, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
waterworks, Humayun's Tomb, New Delhi
In this building, a water pump is housed that brings water to all the elaborate waterways and fountains of the gardens

I spent most of my time here finding the best angles to take photos. The entire complex is huge and it took me about almost 2 hours to fully appreciate it. Resting in the shade in the surrounding gardens, I decided to visit one last place before going back to my hotel to get my luggage and heading to the airport. This was Purana Qila (old fort) where Emperor Humayun ruled from and also, where it is said he fell to his death at a library within.

View the next related post here.

Return to the trip index here.

5 comments:

nemuritor_de_foame said...

Hi. I'm making 3D model versions of the patterns and temples at the Humayun's Tomb complex. Do you happen to have high-resolution versions of these photos? They're taken from just the angles I need, but their resolution is too low.

Thanks,
Mihai

nemuritor_de_foame said...

Here's what I've done so far: http://flickr.com/photos/nemuritor_de_foame

Devil said...

Hi Mihai,

I do have the original high resolution photos but I am not really keen on releasing them to the public domain. Thanks for visiting my blog.

nemuritor_de_foame said...

Well then, how about just sending me a copy, and I won't put them on public domain either, I'll just use them for reference. Or, if i need to show the original (next to the 3D version for example), I'll just use these initial low-res versions.

How does that sound? My email is mihai dot draghicioiu at gmail.com

Also, the six-sided star thingy (it has a name, but I forgot it) was first used in Humayun's tomb, and it's actually a lotus inside of david's star, it's a mix of religions. The tomb was built during Akbar's reign (after Humayun died), and Akbar was really open to this mixture of religions. I read this in "R. Nath - Some aspects of mughal architecture".

rani said...

I love this monument, one of my favorites. I will be doing a post on Humayum soon.