Monday, May 19, 2008

Arcade Joystick with MAME on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Today, I saw a cheap China made USB arcade stick at the computer store near my home. Previously I was contemplating buying the Japan made Hori Fighting Stick that will set me back a good $80. Luckily, this stick appeared for just $29. It is a Digi-USB Joystick from Topway and it says Windows 98 to XP on the front. Flipping to the back says "2002 Topway all rights reserved". Being something from 2002, it sounds like a good bet it will work in both Linux and Windows so I bought it and plugged it into my computer running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. Typing $ sudo dmesg I found the stick was detected as being:

USB HID v1.10 Joystick [GreenAsia Inc. USB Joystick] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2

And that it was a low speed USB 1.1 device. Not that I needed USB 2.0 anyway. Firing up MAME 0.135 I tried it with Marvel vs. Street Fighter. The GreenAsia Inc. driver in Ubuntu worked flawlessly. Physically, it does not have as good a feel as an arcade stick but it is decent enough to perform all air combos. Great! I finally have a decent fighting stick that works right out of the box. Being a light stick, one nice addition is the four sucker pads on the base of the stick that keeps it in place on the table top.


With 8 buttons, you can configure your favourite layout (American or Japanese) for the common six or four fighting buttons.


My desk is getting rather cluttered with the Tesun dual gamepads and this new joystick.


Here we go, King of Fighters 2002 on MAME 0.135!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ubuntu rocks!!!

Anonymous said...

your desk at home and in the office is super messy... confirm fail 5S audit man

Anonymous said...

hi, seeing as i was thinking of buying this arcade joystick myself,
i would just like to ask you a few questions-
Is it Durable?
Are you still using it today?
would you recommend it for a beginner at say, street fighter?
Do you face any kind of major problems with it?

cheers,
Andrewe

Anonymous said...

my email is slangus_wangus@hotmail.com
by the way :)

Devil said...

Hi Andrew,

I don't use it very heavily now so I can't comment about durability. It works well for games like Marvel vs. Street, Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter III, etc. And it is cheap, in USD it will be about 20.