Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04, MAME & AIGLX on ATI

With Ubuntu 8.04 LTS out for a few weeks now, I finally finished my exams and decided to give it a spin. Downloaded an alternate CD to upgrade my Ubuntu 7.10 from. Unfortunately it failed. It was only later that I realised it was due to my Mythbuntu installation. Should have downloaded the Mybuntu alternate CD instead. Thankfully, the servers were up and a net upgrade quickly placed 8.04 on my PC. Some problems still not resolved though (but not really the fault of Ubuntu). For starters, AIGLX is still working,


But sadly playing videos and watching tv using tvtime with XV still fails in windowed mode due to problems with the ATI drivers. The best I could get is flickering videos. But it is not stable. After messing around with some Compiz settings, it is possible to lose video altogether.


F-spot seems slightly less buggy. Next I decided to install the latest version of SDLMAME v0.125 from here (forget xmame, the base version of mame is too ancient). It didn't work right at the start using opengl rendering and I had to edit "/etc/sdlmame/mame.ini" to set option "gl_pbo 0" before it would run.

What delighted me the most is my Tesun USB-706D Dual Analogue Joypads (looks like PS gamepads, two pads hooked to one usb plug) that I bought for $23 worked right out of the box without additional drivers except for the vibration (not that it mattered). Unfortunately, with Compiz and the ATI fglrx 8.47.3 drivers, the display flickers like videos and tvtime. Hence I had to postpone my eye-candy yet again till ATI gives better drivers. Oh well, back to metacity.


Marvel Vs Street Fighter! It's been a long time.


Dungeons & Dragons 2: Shadows Over Mystara! Used to be stuck in the arcade for 4 hours with my friend trying to finish this with one or two coins. It takes about 1.5 hours to complete the game. So far everything seems alright with 8.04, I have no idea why they packaged Firefox 3 Beta 5 though. Broke some of my extensions but it does have some cool features. Other than that there's nothing really visibly special.

No comments: