Sunday, March 22, 2009

Shanghai Day 2 - Jade Buddha Temple (玉佛禅寺) & Yu Yuan (豫园)


Read the previous post or return to trip index here.

23 Feb 2009

Woke up early today for breakfast at the hotel. Waited for a call that did not come. That means I am free for the day. Unrolling the tourist map of Shanghai, I noticed two temples: The Jade Buddha Temple (玉佛禅寺) and Long Hua Temple (龙华寺). I had heard that the Jade Buddhas came from Burma, so I decided to go take a look for myself, on foot.


Breakfast at the hotel


Slightly past Jing An Temple, this building looks like a cinema


Along the streets, the sky's gloomy like yesterday


This must be the Star Cruise local office

Jade Buddha Temple (玉佛禅寺), Shanghai
Finally after a long walk and a small detour past some construction, I arrived at the Jade Buddha Temple


Right opposite the front gate is a panel with stone patterns


Within the temple, it cost CNY 20 to get a ticket and it was drizzling again



The Four Heavenly Kings


Laughing Buddha


Within the Grand Hall, Three Golden Buddhas



The left and right of the Grand Hall is aligned with many gods


At the back of the Three Golden Buddhas was The Goddess of Mercy and an entire wall covered with statues

Singapore donated marble reclining Buddha at the Jade Buddha Temple (玉佛禅寺), Shanghai
A marble reclining Buddha donated by Singapore

After walking around the ground level, I realised that I had not seen the Jade Buddha. Following some signs, it seems that the Jade Buddha was displayed on the second floor in a special chamber. This required an additional CNY 10. Unfortunately, photography was not allowed. It was a serene place with the Jade Buddha seated and depicted with South Asian facial features.

Having walked enough, I decided next to take a taxi to Yu Yuan (豫园), a garden and shopping district around it with buildings designed to resemble old chinese buildings. I was not too interested in the garden, but rather the food.


In the cab, avoiding the rain, the trip from the temple cost me CNY 21 -- cheap


Arrived at the edge of the Yu Yuan area


Some "Old Shanghai Street" aligned with old looking shops

Yu Yuan (豫园), Shanghai
Within the eating and shopping area, lined with themed buildings

Yu Yuan (豫园) best Xiao Long Bao (小笼包)
This is what I am here for, lunch with the best Xiao Long Bao (小笼包)!


The take-out queue was really long and it doubled in length right after I joined it


You could either queue for take outs or head into the restaurant upstairs albeit at a higher price for each level you go up


These steaming little buns made hungry me really envious as it was cold today


An air vent acts as a steam exhaust


After 20 minutes I was finally getting closer


CNY 12 for 16 pieces, now that's really cheap


I have got my ticket now to collect it


Perfect, holding them in my left hand warms it up really well. Eat half and then switch hands so that you can warm the right.


Inside the kitchen, they are hard at work, even with this many hands, it took me 30-40 mins to get my Xiao Long Bao


Most people will stand beside this lake and finish their buns


There are lots of food everywhere too bad I was too full to try any more. Here's what looks like beef balls


Some deep fried little birds


Looks a little gross close-up


This is an entire snack square

bing tang hu lu (冰糖葫芦), yu yuan (豫园), Shanghai
Sugar glazed candy (冰糖葫芦), it's for children but these are huge


Tang Bao (汤包 - soup bun)


It seemed to be getting colder so I decided to hide in Starbucks to warm my fingers. The service is great, with the staff able to speak basic conversational English, much better than some other supposedly English speaking countries that hire foreign staff without a clue of the language.


Ahhhhh...


The entrance to Yu Yuan itself, I decided to give it a miss, it cost a fee to enter


A traditional show. Seems like a slide show where the performer in the hat will pull levers, clang cymbals and recite a story


Leaving Yu Yuan

Still full from the 16 Xiao Long Baos, I decided to try walking to Xin Tian Di (新天地), a place where some historic buildings now houses pubs, bars and restaurants. It is also the site of the first First Conference of the Communist Party of China.

View the next post in the series here.
Return to the trip index here.

No comments: