Thursday, April 9, 2009

Shanghai Day 2 - Xin Tian Di (新天地) & Pudong Along the Huangpu River


Read the previous post here or return to trip index here.

23 Feb 2009

The walk from Yu Yuan to Xin Tian Di (新天地) took longer than expected. By the time I got there, my legs were already aching.


A park on the way to Xin Tian Di

Xin Tian Di
Finally arrived. Rows of some old styled houses


The first Conference of the Communist Party of China was held here. Free entry to an exhibition, but I decided not to enter


The south side. Somehow, nobody here seems to fancy an afternoon drink


So the coffee bean is here too. So far, most of the coffee places here is Starbucks


A small plaza in the center of the north side

Fountain, Xin Tian Di
Fountain of scholars?


They are everywhere!


The street looks serene

Back alley of Xin Tian Di
One of the back alleys in Xin Tian Di, spick and span



Walking away from Xin Tian Di to the metro, some park lined with flowers. Hopped on the metro and stopped on the other side of Huangpu River, Pudong, where all the skyscrapers are


The TV Tower in the evening. Looks normal. It costs a different amount of money to go up different levels. I decided not to go up due to the thick clouds everywhere.

The Bund (外滩) from Pudong
The bund from across the river


I was getting hungry and I walked into the nearest shopping mall that was huge. Here's some indigenous fast food called "real gongfu" that actually tastes good. Costs about CNY 30 with the soft drink. For some reason taking of pictures is disallowed in shopping malls.


Captured the logo of the fast food restaurant at some other metro station

The Bund (外滩) from Pudong
Finally it was dark, so I started to take pictures of the bund


These two buildings stand out the most


A huge moving screen on the river flashing advertisements

 Oriental Pearl Tower (东方明珠塔) at night
The TV Tower looks best at night and sort of mystical with the clouds

Getting bored with the Huangpu river, and the rain, I decided to call it a day. Returning to the hotel I quickly feel asleep. Tomorrow I will be meeting one of the senior doctors and I wonder where I would go next...

View the next related post here.
Return to the trip index here.

No comments: