Thursday, February 15, 2007

JavaScript Total Re-discovery

After trying out JavaScript and reading this, I made a shocking discovery for myself. All along my impression of JavaScript was this language used to write some hasty gimmicks for web pages. After all it is just a scripting language, how advanced can it be?

I have been totally debunked. JavaScript is actually more like Scheme and Lisp than JAVA itself! And the even more amazing thing is that every modern web browser is an interpreter almost as powerful as the Scheme interpreter. JavaScript is a functional programming language extended with records and imperative constructs.

Now for the less technical folks, what does all these jibberish mean? It basically means that I can now create widgets that contain JavaScript without fear of clashing declarations with another widget (written by someone else) on the same HTML page. In other words keeping true to the idea of a widget being an independent GUI component that is not affected by and does not affect other widgets.

Finally becoming less noob. Look out for cut and paste widgets, almost no configurations necessary, from me soon.

No comments: