Saturday, December 1, 2007

Greece Day 3, Athens to Patras & around Patras

To view the first post in this series click here.
To view the previous related post click here.

28 Oct 2007

Woke up early in the morning at around 6:30am again. It is amazing how early I get up here. Well there is a good reason for that, I have to get to the Port city of Patras by noon so that I might spend the day taking a look around. After breakfast, I was off to the Omonia district, where I will have to take a bus 051 to the main intercity bus terminal -- Kifissos KTEL Terminal A.

athens
This is where have my breakfast at Acropolis House.

athens
Bread, butter, olives, and a hard-boiled egg.

athens
Smash the hard-boiled egg into the bun, add salt and pepper, and you have an egg burger!

athens
Walking down the Ermou shopping district (again) in the morning

athens
The old church in the middle of the shopping district.

athens
athens
Another church on my way to Omonia

athens
Finally after a long walk I caught bus 051 and reached the Kifissos bus terminal.


View Larger Map
Off to Patras, route marked in blue.

athens to patras
Something was strange with the bus so the coach captain stopped to do a check. The sea was on my left -- a clear indication I was still on mainland Greece.

athens to patras
Ready to GO!

athens to patras
Now the sea is on my right. We have crossed the isthmus of Corinth and are now in the Peloponnese.

athens to patras
The Ionian seaside looks beautiful.

athens to patras
The bus got stuck at a town for a short while, a parade of sorts was going on. Here we have some cadet scouts.

athens to patras
Girl Scouts

athens to patras
There they go

athens to patras
Back on our way.

Rio-Antirio bridge
First glimpse of the Rio-Antirio bridge, the longest of its kind in the world. It connects mainland Greece with the Peloponnese and it is next to Patras (at Rio). I think it is supposed to be earthquake and tsunami resistant.

Rio-Antirio bridge
Rio-Antirio bridge
The bridge was also featured on Discovery Channel

Patras
Ah... I made it to my hotel Patras Palace in one piece after the long bus journey of about 4-5 hours. I learned later that apparently there is a strip-club with the same name in Patras as well. After putting down my bags I went to check out some of the sights in Patras. First up, I walked along the blue line below to get to the Fortress of Patras. The Fortress was built by the Eastern Romans (Byzantine) and changed owners multiple times, Byzantine, Venetian, Byzantine, Ottoman, and finally modern Greece. During the Greek revolution, Patras was one of the starting areas of the uprising. The Greeks took over the city but the Ottomans held out in the fortress for a long time (a few months I think).


View Larger Map

Patras
Patras
Streets of Patras

Patras
Lots of stairs (about 200 steps). An Armenian Church to the left of the stairs.

Patras
Here I go!

Patras
Finally.

Patras
Patras
The whole city is sprawled along the coastline

Patras
Aiks! More slope to get to the entrance.

Patras Fortress
Fortress Wall

Patras Fortress
Entrance

Patras Fortress
Layout showing which parts of the fortress were added by which conquering people.

Patras Fortress
Write-up of the Castle's history

Patras Fortress
The first compound, with the inner Bailey

Patras Fortress
Patras Fortress
I think this is a bridge over the inner moat

Patras Fortress
Entering the 2nd entrance

Patras Fortress
Patras Fortress
The second compound. Most secured place.

Patras Fortress
A well?

Patras Fortress
Patras Fortress
More climbing to do to get up there

Patras Fortress
Finally at the top!

Patras Fortress
Patras Fortress
Patras Fortress
Patras Fortress
Patras from the top of the Fortress

Patras Fortress
Holes for archers to shoot from

Patras Fortress
Each hole covers a certain angle on the path below the main entrance of the Fortress.

Patras Fortress
This hole covers the 2nd entrance into the inner compound

Getting bored with the stones I left the Fortress and walked along the red line to see some other minor sights.

Church of St Augustus, Patras
Church of St Augustus. There is a bigger church of St. Andrew which I will visit on another day.

Church of St Augustus, Patras
Close-up of a tower with a clock

Church of St Augustus, Patras
Another side of the Church. I think the clocks are not working.

Roman Odeon of Patras
Roman Odeon of Patras
Roman Odeon of Patras. Nothing compared to the Odeon of Herodes in Athens.

Patras
Walking down is so much better!

Patras
Yeah Kenny died.

Patras
The Apollon Theatre at Georgiou I square. Built in the 19th century.

Patras
Georgiou I square

Patras
Dinner at Europa center, cheap and good place. Everywhere else in Patras just looks expensive.

Patras
Seated and waiting for food.

Patras
Wine, bread, Mousaka and Potatoes, cost about 10 euros

Patras
Mousaka is kind of like Lasagna minus the pasta that is swapped with more cheese and eggplant.

After dinner I retired to my hotel to practice some presentations of the conference tomorrow. Unfortunately, I was too sleepy, so I decided to wake up at 530am the next day to prepare instead...

View the next related post here.

Return to the trip index here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Eleni and i currently live in Seattle. My parents own Europe Center and they put their heart and sould to be able to provide authentic Greek food so i am very happy to see this blog. Hugs!

Devil said...

Hi Eleni,
The food was tasty and of good value. It was recommended by lonely planet. I do recommend those that visit Patras to eat there. =D

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. Nice blog! Sometimes the best thing in travel shots is the thing you weren't paying attention to when you pushed the shutter button. That graffiti on the stairs (the photo looking down at the city) basically says "S**T to every Greek", but the last word is not clear, so there may be a punchline I missed. Kind of funny that this is in the middle of an otherwise pretty shot! ;)