Monday, December 10, 2007

Greece Day 7 to 8, Athens & Home - Lycabettus Hill

To view the first post in this series click here.
To view the previous related post click here.

01 Nov 2007 -- 02 Nov 2007

Woke up later than usual at 7am to have breakfast. After packing up and checking out of the conference hotel, I headed to the bus station next door with my friend to catch a coach back to Athens. The heavy traffic caused the journey to take about an hour longer than expected. However the bus ride was mostly uneventful and I fell asleep for the most part. Upon arrival at Kifissos Bus Station in Athens, I took bus 051 to Omonia Square and bought a trolley ticket.
The wait was a nightmare. After 1 hour, the trolley was nowhere to be seen. It seems that I was not the only frustrated person at the trolley stand waiting for an hour. Time was precious so I decided to make the journey back to my hotel with 4 thick conference proceedings in addition to my backpack on foot. The journey (blue line below) was difficult. Furthermore, having to walk through a wet market district and Ermou shopping district with the big load at noon when everyone was busy shopping made me look really out of place.


Finally after a long 20 minute walk I arrived at my hotel in one piece and largely out of breath. To my delight, my room for the night was on the ground level. No more stairs to climb. After taking a shower and a breather, I headed to the place next door where I had my first meal in Greece for lunch. Then, I decided to visit Syntagma Square, the Parliament House, the Byzantine Art Museum, War Museum and lastly, Lycabettus Hill via the red route above.

Plaka, Athens
Bread and a bit of wine

Plaka, Athens
Deep fried codfish, the stuff of the right is full of garlic and something mashy but it tastes nice.

Syntagma Square, Athens
Some of the up-class hotels around Syntagma Square

Syntagma Square, Athens
Syntagma (Constitution) Square with the Parliament Building in the background.

Parliament Building, Athens
Parliament House.

Parliament Building, Athens
It is decorated with Greek drawings.

Parliament Building, Athens
The pigeons were in session debating on state welfare

Parliament Building, Athens
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Parliament Building, Athens
The tomb is right below the main building.

Parliament Building, Athens
An Evzoni Guarding the tomb.

Parliament Building, Athens
Pigeons still locked in heated debate.

Unfortunately after walking to the Byzantine Art Museum from the Parliament house, I discovered it was closed and so was the War Museum next door! Apparently they close at 2:30pm and 12:30pm and it was now 3pm. Disappointed I began to make my way to Lycabettus Hill. There is supposed to be some cable or train that I could take up the hill without walking.

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
What's this? I thought there would be no ascending of slopes before the base of the hill!

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Looks like quite a bit of hill I have to climb before getting to the monastery at the top.

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Uh-oh more stairs. The area at the base of the hill seems to be a rather up-class residential area.

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Some shop I passed

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Finally the Teleferik! Now I no longer have to walk.

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
I think it was 4.50 euro for a return trip.

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Athens from the top of Lycabettus hill

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Theatre on the other side of the hill

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
More of Athens

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
The Acropolis in a distance, unfortunately it is very hazy.

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Temple of Olympian Zeus

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
There is actually a restaurant at the top and the last Teleferik downhill is sometime after 2am.

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Church Bells in front of the Monastery

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Backside of the monastery

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Front side

Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Hill, Athens
Lycabettus Hill, Athens
The Christian Art on the inside.

Lycabettus Hill, Athens

Getting bored with the view and the monastery, I decided to make my way back to my hotel. Later at night, I met a friend from the conference and by chance we met another at one of the outdoor cafes in Plaka. He was a photo enthusiast and was carrying with him a digital SLR. So I brought him to take some night pictures of the Acropolis and the Temple of Zeus. The next morning I took a quick walk around to see if I can find the cheapest souvenir shop that I discovered a few days ago. Sadly, it was closed so I took some pictures of some monuments that I did not realise were monuments earlier. Then the time came for me to pack up and make my way once more to Syntagma Square to catch a bus to the airport for my trip home.

Parthenon, Acropolis at night, Athens
The Parthenon again

Odeon of Herodes, Acropolis at night, Athens
The Odeon of Herodes. It was a wet night.

Choregic Monument of Lysikarates, Plaka, Athens
Choregic Monument of Lysikarates, Plaka, Athens
The Choregic Monument of Lysikarates

Choregic Monument of Lysikarates, Plaka, Athens
Close-up of the top. It was to commemorate the 1st prize awarded by a theatre patron to one of his sponsored performances.

Plaka, Athens
Some Graffiti

Plaka, Athens
Plaka is so peaceful in the morning

Church of the Metamorphosis, Plaka, Athens
Church of the Metamorphosis

Church of the Metamorphosis, Plaka, Athens
Church of the Metamorphosis, Plaka, Athens
Church of the Metamorphosis, Plaka, Athens
Church of the Metamorphosis, Plaka, Athens
Inside church


Then it was time to leave for the Airport.


"Here comes the wine! Here comes the wine!"


Curry rice and wine for lunch!


I caught up with time. Omelette for breakfast (and wine of course).

Thus ends my trip to Greece. It was a shame I had to rush back to catch up with my coursework. Otherwise I could have visited other off-city ancient sites such as Delphi and Mt. Olympus. That said, it was a nice place with loads to see and best of all it was easy to get around by myself. Definitely accessible without a guide.

Return to the first post and index of this series here.

No comments: