Thursday, December 6, 2007

Greece Day 4 to 6, Patras - Around & St. Andrew's Basilica

To view the first post in this series click here.
To view the previous related post click here.

29 Oct 2007 -- 31 Oct 2007

The time has come for the first day of the ICTAI 07 conference. I woke up at 5:30am to practice my talks. I had to give two talks today on behalf of my supervisors. By 7am I had to rush for breakfast in 20 mins since the bus will arrive at 7:20am.

Patras
International breakfast

Patras
View from where I sat for breakfast

Patras
The University of Patras Cultural Center

Patras
19th ICTAI

Patras
Keynote speech for day one. Now this auditorium is where I had to give two talks.

Well thats it for day 1. At night we had a social gathering at a well known winery -- Achaia Clauss, founded 1861 by the Bavarian Gustav Clauss. They are most famous for their sweet wine, although I prefer port from Portugal. This winery has been visited by nobles since its opening and if you are a visiting noble they will name a barrel of sweet wine in the cellar in your honour.

Patras
Patras
Main entrance

Patras
Inside the first compound

Patras
View of the lights below

Patras
Here we go into the wine tasting section

Patras
Wine please!

Patras
In the cellar.

Patras
They used to ferment wine in these large vats (now they use modern metal vats).

Patras
They are huge

Patras
A barrel of the sweet wine, maturing since I don't know when.

Patras
These barrels were in honor of some noble. I think one of them was for the Empress of Austria.

Thus ends day 1. The next morning we were brought to the conference by cab. The keynote speech was rather interesting. It was about Semantic Web (i.e. Web 2.0). Something I feel is not very correctly defined in many cases. Today will be my third presentation, finally for myself.

Patras
Before leaving the hotel I took a picture of the painting in the lobby depicting a naval battle between Greek and Ottoman fleets.

Patras
Keynote Speech by Ian Horrocks.

Patras
Ah the highlight of the day, the banquet at night.

Patras
Some students were showing us traditional Greek dancing.

Dinner was served at our table extremely late at 10pm. I was so famished I did not remember to take a picture. I had this excellent fish called Red Mullet. Lightly grilled and very sweet. The next day was rather boring. I was extremely restless and had no interest in most of the topics so I decided to call it quits halfway and walked around. Then with some friends we decided to leave for Patras City to visit some sights after lunch.

Patras
In general the University looks like this. Somehow quite familiar.

Patras
Back to Patras City, at the berth.

Patras
I think these liners sail to Italy.

Patras
This was a Roman Stadium

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, one of the main highlights in Patras

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
Close-up of the top

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
Front side. As usual, maintenance going on.

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
Inside the church. It is rather grand.

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
The big erm... Chandelier?

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
Random paintings and under the main dome.

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras

Almost every inch is decorated with iconic art. All very nice. The interesting thing is that in Turkey in ancient churches like at Göreme and the Hagia Sophia, there were art like these too. However most were defaced by the Muslims then. Now they are busy restoring and preserving them.

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
Mary and Jesus I think.

St. Andrew's Basilica, Patras
The front.


Alas! After bringing my friend to visit the Fortress (yes those stairs again!) once more I sent him off to the bus station next to my hotel so that he can catch a bus back to Athens. Then I headed to the same favourite dinner place, Europa. The grilled chicken, potatoes and bread cost about 5 euros. Really the cheapest I ever had in Greece, except the wine which was 3.5 euros. The chicken was fantastic.

Thus ends my last night in Patras. Tomorrow I will be returning to Athens by bus with another friend I met at the conference.

View the next related post here.

Return to the trip index here.

No comments: